Saturday, February 19, 2011

Herculean Kemba Walker Effort Gives Connecticut 'Giant' Win

Filed under: , ,

HARTFORD, Conn. -- UConn quarterback Johnny McEntee, step aside. There is a new trick-shot king at UConn: Kemba Walker.

The junior guard had 31 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds, leading the No. 13 Huskies past No. 9 Georgetown 78-70.

Walker's most impressive -- oh my gosh, did you just see that? -- play occurred early in the second half.

The official play-by-play sheet doesn't do it justice:

MISSED JUMPER by Walker, Kemba 16:45
REBOUND (OFF) by Walker, Kemba 16:41
GOOD! TIP-IN by Walker, Kemba [PNT] 16:41 43-40 H 3


UConn forward Alex Oriakhi had a better description.

"He pumped faked the guy and threw it up," Oriakhi told FanHouse. "I was saying, 'What is he doing?' Then I was like, 'I know exactly what he's doing.' He must have seen a lot of Kobe (Bryant) videos. I'm going to ask him, what was he thinking."

What was Walker thinking when he pump faked from the top of the key, ducked under Georgetown's 6-foot-10 forward Henry Sims and intentionally slammed the basketball off the backboard, basically passing it to himself? Walker then raced down the lane, grabbed his own rebound and dropped it in the basket.

"I saw the lane open," Walker said. "At the time it was the only play available, so I went for it. I never did it in a game -- ever. I'm just happy I made it because like I said, I don't know what coach would have done if I missed."

Source: http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2011/02/16/herculean-kemba-walker-effort-gives-connecticut-giant-win/

Amundson, Lou Andersen, Chris Andersen, David Anderson, James Anderson, Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment